Thursday, April 7, 2016

Single Crochet Chevron Baby Blanket


Will a chevron ever go out of style? I don't think so. I remember this from my childhood, made with a lot of orange and browns however, but the new updated colors make this a classic. I love the white in between each color change.

This is made with "I love this cotton" brand of yarn from Hobby Lobby. I bought it on sale for 2.66 a skein and I am finding that almost one skein is needed to complete 8 rows



Start by chaining 178, Single Crochet in the BACK loop always to acheive this look.

Beginning in the 2nd chain from hook, sc2tog, sc in next 12 ch, 3 sc in next ch, *sc in next 13 ch, sk next 2 ch, sc in next 13 ch, 3 sc in next ch; rep from * to last 14 ch, sc in next 12, sc2tog in the last 2 ch. 6 ripples

ROW 2: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in the next 12, sc, 3 sc in next sc, *sc in the next 13 sc, sk nest 2 sc, sc in next 13 sc, 3 sc in next sc; rep from * across to last 14 sc, sc in next 12, sc2tog.

ROW 3 and 4: Rep Row 2, 2 more times and then change colors.UPDATE: I added a pom-pom border because the baby was a girl! The baby I was making this for, which I thought would be a boy, just a feeling, actually was a girl. So, I thought pom-poms would make this more fun and feminine.



I made up the pattern after learning how to do a bubble stitch. But here is the edge pattern:

Do a row of single crochet into each stitch around the blanket. On the sides of the blanket, I made sure I only did eight single crochet for each color block because it was eight rows high.

Then I did another row of single crochet into each one of those single crochet stitches. So at this point, I've gone around the blanket two times with single crochet.

Then, I did a row of one sc, ch 3, skip one sc, sc in next sc. this forms the loops that the bubbles will attach to.

After I finished that all the way around the blanket, I changed to the mango color, attaching to the white with a sc in the loop space on the right hand corner. I only am doing the top and bottom of this blanket with the pom-poms, not going all the way around the blanket.

So here is the pom-pom stitch I used:

ch 5, in the 4th ch from hook dctog3, (meaning yo, pull up a loop, go through two, three times) pull through all for loops (half a bubble made), dctog3 in the next ch, (other half of bubble created) slip stitch the bubble together, sc in the next ch 3 space and repeat.

Good luck!

And if you follow this pattern, and create a lovely little blanket, please take a picture and tag me on instagram! @daisyfarmcrafts, or use the #daisyfarmcrafts.

With love,

Tiffany


9 comments:

  1. I was just wondering when we sc2tog at the beginning and end of each row, will it get smaller and smaller?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it gets slantier. It creates the slant of the up and down? I don't know how to explain it. But do a few rows and you will see. Good luck!!

      Delete
  2. Okay great thank you!! I was just worried because we aren't adding back to it. If that makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much yarn would you say you used to make this blanket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the worst at keeping track of how much yarn I use! If you do this pattern as wide as I did, I estimated about one skein of the hobby lobby cotton per eight rows. I hope that helps! I'm sorry I can't be more accurate. I need to do another one of these and keep track next time. Thanks for commenting and stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello I'm confused in row 2 where is says "ROW 2: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in the next 12, sc, 3 sc in next sc, " after sc in the next 12, what is the next stitch? is it 1 sc, then 3 sc in the next sc?

    ReplyDelete